Back To Basics: A Simple Secret To Reducing Short Term Sick Leave

Hand HygieneAn astounding 131 million working days are lost to sickness absence in the UK every year, according to the Office of National Statistics. But there is a simple, cost effective way to hugely reduce the risk of short term sickness absence in your business immediately.

Two words: Hand. Hygiene.

Ensuring all staff thoroughly wash their hands could have a surprising impact on your business. In fact, some scientific studies suggest that educating staff in proper hand washing techniques can halve rates of sickness absence. To help explain why, we’ve been number crunching to provide you with the cold, hard facts:

  • 15,000,000 people in the UK suffer from cold or flu symptoms each year
  • 80% of infectious diseases are spread via people’s hands
  • 60% of people wash their hands before leaving the bathroom – meaning 40% don’t!
  • 50% of those who DO wash their hands use soap, the other half just rinse with water…….

Convinced by the numbers and keen to whip your workplace into shape when it comes to hand hygiene? Here are some quick tips to get you started:

  • Education: Remind staff that if they have cold or flu symptoms, they are contagious and should therefore not come into the office. This could mean the difference between one member of staff being absent for a couple of days and a whole team being infected with the same virus.
  • Signage: Notices placed strategically around office bathrooms, including on the back of the exit door, remind staff to go back to basics and make sure their hands are clean before returning to the office.
  • Quality: Forget the days of a sorry looking soap skidding around the sink; quality soap in a wall mounted dispenser is a modern and hygienic solution to the age old problem of tackling germs.
  • Routine: Alcohol hand rubs kill 99.9% of harmful germs immediately but remember that these popular sanitisers should be considered a supplement to, not a replacement for, traditional hand washing.
  • Regular Cleaning of surfaces that harbour germs – This is where we can help! Whether it be a weekly clean or daily clean, or something in between, decontaminating door handles, light switches, telephone handsets etc is an excellent initial step to reduce cross contamination and staff shortage due to illnesses. Essentially by paying for a quality office cleaning company you could be saving money.

Call ProCare now on 0800 032 6660 to arrange a no obligation quote.